Tips for managing spring allergies from behind the wheel of your vehicle
Staying focused while driving can be difficult for the 40 million Americans who suffer from spring allergies experiencing symptoms like sneezing, headaches, coughing, itchy eyes, and a runny nose. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), 80% of traffic accidents result from some form of driver distraction. Your Greater Los Angeles area Jiffy Lube provides the following tips for controlling allergy symptoms, staying comfortable, and keeping your eyes on the road no matter what’s in bloom:
- Air filter replacement: regularly change your vehicle’s cabin air filter to keep pollen, dust and other airborne contaminants from entering the vehicle. The National Car Care Council recommends a new filter every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Exact replacement intervals for your vehicle may be found in your owner’s manual.
- Spring cleaning: remove all trash and vacuum the interior including the floor mats and seats. Consider using plastic floor mats for easier cleaning. Dust the dashboard and wipe down or wash the exterior of your vehicle to remove excess pollen.
- Insulation: make sure your windows are properly sealed with weather stripping and drive with them rolled up. If possible, use the air-conditioning system and set it to “re-circulate” to avoid letting in outside air.
- Daily pollen count check: consider asking someone else to drive for you or postpone your trip altogether during high-risk days when the pollen count is especially high.
- Eye protection: wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from pollen.
- Tissue boxes: keep tissue boxes close at hand to avoid reaching while driving.
In addition to the above tips, exercise caution when taking allergy medications as many contain ingredients that cause drowsiness and, according to the American Automobile Association (AAA), drowsy driving accounts for around 16.5% of fatal car crashes each year.
Your neighborhood Southern California Jiffy Lube wishes you a safe and enjoyable spring—we offer air filtration services as needed and include interior vacuuming with every oil change to help allergy proof your vehicle so you stay alert and safe behind the wheel. Look to Jiffy Lube on Facebook and Twitter for vehicle maintenance and safe driving tips throughout the year.
Save today with
Jiffy Lube Coupons
Sign up for email deals from your local Jiffy Lube