Protecting vehicle passengers in hot weather conditions
Although outside temperatures are rising, you can still enjoy safe travels on the most hot and humid days, with just a little planning. We at Jiffy Lube of Southern California suggests obtaining regular vehicle maintenance and using our vehicle safety tips to help keep your passenger cabin cool, passengers comfortable, and reduce the likelihood of a break down (for both the vehicle as well as the passengers).
Before you hit the road, consider these tips for worry free summer driving:
- A/C maintenance: inspect your vehicle’s air conditioning compressor for cracks or damage and other accessible components for leaks. If necessary you should also vacuum test the system, and recharge refrigerant.
- Cooling System Service: ensure coolant levels are adequate so your engine doesn’t overheat. Consider every two years remove the old antifreeze and replace with new.
- Tire Pressure Check/Tire Rotation Service: check your tire pressure and change the position of your tires according to vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations as heat is bad for your tires and a blowout is dangerous to you and the passengers. [Check out our advice on complete tire care.]
- Emergency travel kit: pack bottled water, snacks, a flashlight, flares, a fully charged cell phone, first aid supplies, and a can of Fix-A-Flat inflator and sealer, just in case.
- Appropriate clothing: wear light colored clothing made with natural fibers to beat the heat.
- Block out the sun: use window shades for additional heat protection for passengers.
Remember that small children and pets should never be left unattended for any length of time in a car. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the temperature inside a car, even with a window partially open, can heat up to 40-50 degrees higher than that outside; this type of exposure can quickly result in dehydration, heat stroke, and death.
This summer, don’t park yourself at home because the mercury’s rising—have a little fun in the sun and stay safe with these tips and others listed on under vehicle safety on our website. Remember, we offer a Jiffy Lube oil change as another way to protect your vehicle’s engine from overheating. It includes a check of antifreeze and coolant, as well as a check/fill of tire pressure and other essential components, so stop by a local Southern California Jiffy Lube so can we help get you on your way to safe hot weather driving.
Save today with
Jiffy Lube Coupons
Sign up for email deals from your local Jiffy Lube