How to Care for Your Vehicle’s Battery
As long as your vehicle’s engine starts without a hitch, you might not give your battery a second thought. Your battery is responsible for providing power to the starter–an important job that requires converting stored chemical energy to electricity each time the key is inserted into the ignition and turned, or the engine start button is pushed on some newer models.
When it comes to your vehicle’s battery, knowledge is power and prevention is worth a pound of cure. Just ask anyone who has ever tried to start their vehicle only to hear an ominous silence instead of the engine’s roar. To avoid this kind of surprise and preserve the life of your vehicle’s battery, Jiffy Lube of Southern California provides the following battery maintenance tips:
- Perform a routine battery test at least once a year to ensure the correct charge.
- Periodically inspect the battery terminals for signs of corrosion or leaks which could result in a weak charge; terminal connections should always be kept clean.
- Minimize vibrations by checking the battery’s position; make sure the battery fits snugly inside the battery tray and is secured by the hold-down bar.
- Park in an insulated garage if possible to protect the battery from temperature extremes.
- Check/fill battery with water to maintain optimal levels.
When maintained and inspected periodically, the average car battery will last about 4 years; for your convenience, Jiffy Lube provides electrical system services including a battery diagnostic service to test a battery’s power as well as the electrical functioning of the starter and alternator.
When your battery nears the end of its life, Jiffy Lube provides battery maintenance services* and battery replacement when needed. We visually inspect the battery, test its cranking amp capacity, remove the old battery, and replace it with a new one. We also provide battery terminal cleaning to remove any grease, dirt, and oxidation. When needed, Jiffy Lube technicians can replace the battery terminals to improve the connection and ensure an optimal charge.
When performing all battery maintenance services, our technicians connect an external power source to the vehicle’s electrical system to prevent the loss of electric memory in digital radios, clocks, door locks, and alarm systems. Battery maintenance services may be performed when you come in for an oil change service, and a check/fill of battery water is included with every Jiffy Lube Signature Service® Oil Change.
*Please check with your local Southern California Jiffy Lube as not locations provide all battery and electrical system services.
Save today with
Jiffy Lube Coupons
Sign up for email deals from your local Jiffy Lube